Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday

Who's all working today?

I know the radio station is full force but it seems like a lot of folks have the day off today. Oh well, I'll put in my morni
ng sports, co-host a few breaks on the Eagle 94.1 FM with Chance and then it's North to the Landing for the first round of golf for the year.

I drove past it last night around 6:30pm on my way home from Easter weekend and the course looked great. Not exactly green, but it will do for April 13th.

I'm excited to get out there and try to keep it under 100 for the first round of the year.

---------------------

Good on Johnny Negrin.

The Broncos defenseman gathered his first ever NHL point when he assisted on Jaime Lundmark's goal in a 4-1 Calgary Flames win over the Edmonton Oilers Sunday.

Negrin logged 14:55 of ice-time and w
as given some opportunities to showcase his game. No word if he will be on the Flames playoff roster or sent back to Quad City of the AHL.

Still waiting for that phonecall back Johnny....

Speaking of phone calls, how about S
an Jose Sharks forward Travis Moen getting back to me on Easter weekend to talk about playoffs?

I was 500 kms from the radio station and couldn't do the interview but hopefully we can do something here for his Sharks get locked-up with his former team the Anaheim Ducks in the opening ro
und of playoffs.

Travis has always been real good to us, and we've always been a big supporter of his on the Eagle 94.1 FM. I'm hoping his Sharks win the cup and we can spend another day/night with it in our backyard.



-------------------

When it comes to the NHL playoffs I have no idea this year.

I'm in a couple drafts and have no clue what direction I'm going to go. I haven't followed it enough form a strategy - I just learned of all the playoff match-ups last night when I got back to the city.

How does San Jose, Detroit and Boston sound as surefire teams to advance? The other series seem to close to call. Vancouver will be good to go if Bobby Lou can get going. Pittsburgh and Philly seem to close to touch. Calgary and Chicago will be another barn-burner.

I would like to rally around the B-Hawks this year just because of all the former WHL players on the team. They are smorgasbord of WHL grads and are a young team pretty easy to like.

Maybe I'll ride the Hawks for the draft mixed in my usual combo of Zetterberg/Datsyuk in Detroit. For some reason I always end up with one or both of them.

If you're an employee of GWR Swift Current, we're doing the draft tomorrow night in the boardroom at 7ish..... I'll send the email later today.

--------------------------

The WHL Playoffs continue and it's good to see Regan Bartel and the Kelowna Rockets still going strong. It sounds like they took advantage of a banged-up Tri City American team to win the last four games and take the series in six games.

Imagine a team missing their top defenseman, and two or three of their top scorers? That's what the Ams were down for most of the series. Sound familiar Bronco fans?

I don't think many Bronco fans minded the Wheat Kings sweep of the Medicine Hat Tigers in the 2nd round.

Now Calgary and Brandon meet in the Eastern Conference Final and rightfully so. In my opinion they are head and shoulders the top two teams in the East from what I saw this season. The Broncos were also a combined 1-11 against them so my opinion is possibly a bit skewed.

They are going to have a heck of a series. Shaw TV has plans to do the series but I'm told will do the Kelowna/Vancouver series if Vancouver can beat Spokane tomorrow night in game seven.

Speaking of the Hitmen, congratulations to former Bronco defenseman Paul Postma who signed an NHL entry-level deal with the Atlanta Thrashers, the team that drafted him in the 7th and final round of the 2007 draft.

I vividly remember packing up my gear from the draft floor in Columbus, OH and having Paul Postma's name announced over the PA system as Atlanta's 7th round selection. I was a bit surprised but told some of others who I was with that it couldn't have happened to a better kid.





Just two picks later Ryan Molle was taken by the New Jersey Devils at #207. It was quite the 7th round for the Broncos that year.

Golden West Radio isn't covering the NHL draft in Montreal this year. We will plan to do something else instead. After doing the draft for the last 9 or 10 years, it was time to try something else.

Hopefully Broncos F Cody Eakin can continue his assault up the rankings and "squeak" somewhere late into the 1st round. Most people I've talked to think Cody will taken somewhere between the 2nd or 3rd round.

He's currently representing Canada at the U-18 World Championships in Fargo, ND. So far he's collected two goals in lopsided wins over Germany and Switzerland. Canada plays Germany later today in their third round robin game.

Here's a nice pic on whl.ca of Eaks from the weekend:






Have a good Monday!


jon




No comments: