Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hungry For More


Former Bronco captain Zack Smith is back home in Maple Creek following a strong rookie season with the Binghamton Senators.

Smith collected 24 goals and added 24 assists to go along with 132 PIM's. His season highlight was no doubt a November 29th NHL call-up to the Ottawa Senators in which he made his NHL debut.

Here's some of his thoughts on his first pro season:

"I think it was what I expected. Obviously guys are older and a lot stronger and the game's pretty fast. At the start of the year I gained some confidence coming out of Ottawa Senator camp. When I got down to Binghamton I was able to put up some points earlier and build some confidence."

On getting the early call-up to the Sens:

"It was unbelievable. Two years ago I wouldn't have expected to be where I am now. I was excited to say the least when I got the call."

On his push to stick with the big club next season:

"They told me in my year-end meetings that I have to push for a spot. The biggest think is strength-wise. It's even another step up from the NHL. The guys are faster and stronger and definitely smarter. It's going to be a big summer for me. I'll have to be focused and know what I want (to accomplish) going into next year."

On his summer plans:

"I want to stick close to home for the summer. I'm not sure where I'll be training this year but being that far away from home for awhile I kind of want to relax and stay at home for a bit before I get down to the hard work just before camp. I haven't decided (what I'm going to do) but I'll definitely be around."


------------------------






No comments: