Sunday, March 01, 2009

Weekend Wrap

First of all, if you haven't seen what Tyler Ennis did Friday night against the Prince Albert Raiders I suggest you go visit this link.

His six goal performance in a 6-2 win over the Raiders was the best single-handed performance I've seen in awhile.  

Not only did he score six goals, his last three were beauties.  His 5th goal reminded me of Doug Gilmour in the playoffs against the St. Louis Blues back in the early 90's.   His sixth just showed how hopeless a goaltender is in a one-on-one situation.

Outstanding.

------------

The Broncos had one of those weekends were they showed me they're ready for the playoffs.  Two good efforts of 60 minute hockey and very strong "playoff like" defensive play.  

Derek Claffey was the best player defensively Friday night against the Oil Kings - he even scored the overtime as a nice reward.

Saturday against the Hurricanes, John Negrin was a horse.  His best game as a Bronco since being acquired in January.

Also Saturday, I don't think there has been a more dominating performance by one line all season for the Broncos than what we saw Saturday.  The Dalecky/Eakin/Wudrick line was all over the ice combining for ten points in the 5-2 win.  Dalecky played his best game as a Bronco with a hard-working two goals and two assists.  Eakin was... .like he is every night - hard-working, tenacious, creative and Geordie showed some strong physical play and some good hands in collecting two goals and a helper.   

Over 2500 took in Saturday's contest and saw three players take over a game.

I've been a little reserved with the Broncos over the past month, almost taking a "show me something" approach.  I was waiting for them to show signs of being a team that is beginning to get it together.  I finally saw it this weekend.

The Broncos aren't getting that much credit out there from around the league but they've quietly maneuvered their way into 4th place in the Conference behind the big three of Calgary, Brandon and Saskatoon.

They've won four of their last five and are in a good position with their remaining schedule (Moose Jaw, Edmonton, Red Deer, Brandon, Regina, Regina) to stay in 4th and clinch home ice advantage in the opening round.

-----------------

"You have a face for radio"

It's the oldest line in the book... every radio person hears it routinely, some more than others (me).  With that said I'm happy to get a 2nd shot with Shaw TV this week.   

After doing color commentary for a game in Saskatoon in January, I'm happy to get the opportunity to do play-by-play Tuesday night in Medicine Hat. I'll be alongside veteran Bill Wilms as the Medicine Hat Tigers host the Moose Jaw Warriors.

It makes for an extra busy week with the Broncos hosting the Warriors Wednesday night, and then a road trip into Alberta which we will depart Thursday for games in Edmonton and Red Deer.    I would complain about the workload but I'm fine with it.  Plus, I wouldn't want to be considered "soft".  I'm not complaining.

More blogging this week...... 

Jon


3 comments:

dubfan said...

Keener good luck in the Hat, do what you do and people will enjoy it. The exposure is great, I predict Jon will be doing pro games within two years. I agree Jon that line dominated Saturday and will be needed for a strong playoff run.

Jon Keen said...

Thanks dubfan. Two years is a stretch, haha.

Anonymous said...

pro games..bahahahahahahahahaha