Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Heard Around the Rink.....

Here's a sample of what the Broncos are saying as they prepare for a new week. The club will host the Red Deer Rebels tonight before hitting the road for games in Cranbrook and Lethbridge.


Broncos forward Justin Dowling on why the Broncos are off such a quick start:

"I think the team is getting along real well. I think everyone is happy that we're 4-0. I know it hasn't happen in awhile with the Broncos (to start a season). It's a good atmosphere, everyone's mood is up. I think we're bonding well as a team."


Dowling on some early team chemistry:

"We're all pretty good friends... we hang out after practice. It's a lot easier when you're around the guys a lot more. When we hang out, it's not always about hockey. We have a bond outside of hockey and I think that's important."


Broncos goaltender Mark Guggenberger on taking over the #1 spot with the injury to Travis Yonkman:

"I'm definitely comfortable (playing more games), I just hope to make the most out of my opportunities."


Guggenberger on getting the chance to play a handful of games in a row:

"Well... I would like to play 72 games (laughs) but I don't think that's going to happen. Whenever the coach calls my name I'll be ready to go. I'll play as much as I earn so I just have to keep working hard every day in practice and wait for my opportunities."


Broncos Head Coach/G.M. Dean Chynoweth on the team trying to equal their best start since the 1998/99 season with five wins to open the year:

"(laughing...) That's an interesting stat, that's the first time I've heard that. How did they finish that year? How did they do? That would be my concern... what happens at the end of the season."


Blogger note: That year the team limped into the playoffs with a record of 34-22-6 to finish 4th in the east division. They lost a first round playoff match-up to the Moose Jaw Warriors in six games.


Chynoweth on the team's attitude two weeks into the season:

"I think right now guys are feeling pretty good but you have to keep that in check. Moving forward we start getting into a stretch where the schedule is busier and we have some tough game. We'll get tested here fairly quickly."


Chynoweth on the Red Deer Rebels:

" I expect them to play a lot like when Brent (Sutter) was there. (New head coach) Jesse (Wallin) tutored under Brent and I think he will get that fire back in the group."



We're on the air on the Eagle 94.1 FM starting with the pre-game show at 7pm, play-by-play at 7:30 from the Credit Union I-plex.


26 degrees in Swift Current today.... if only it would stay all season long.


Have a good one,

Jon

No comments: