Monday, August 25, 2008

Blue / White Game Tonight

The Broncos host their annual Blue and White Inter-squad game tonight @7pm from the Credit Union I-plex.

Broncos Head Coach and General Manager Dean Chynoweth says the roster will be shaved down to about 40 players for tonight's contest and then to about 30 following the game.

Training camp intensity has picked up as the sessions and scrimmages continued which is good to see. I didn't make it down to the rink yesterday for the two scrimmages but will be there tonight for the game and will put together some sort of a recap.

Just some notes...

Fitness testing results were posted the other day.

- Pound for pound, last year's captain Zack Smith is the strongest player in camp according to the bench press. Smith's bench weight x reps divided by body weight gave him the slight edge over defenseman Jesse Dudas.

- White men can't jump? Goaltender Travis Yonkman posted the highest vertical leap of all 80 in camp leaping 77 cm's from a standing position. Yonks is the last goaltender since Blake Grenier to take top honours in the fitness testing event.

Yonkman actually blew away the rest of the field. Cody Eakin and rookie Andrew Sullivan shared 2nd at 66cm's followed by Dale Wiese at 65cm.

- The veterans appear to have all returned in good shape. According to the numbers they all tested well. Body fat % ranged from just over 9% to about 14%.

- Mike Brown weighed in at a bigger, stronger 228 pounds, while Geordie Wudrick is up to a lean 214 and Jesse Dudas is at 219.



Jon

2 comments:

dtjensen said...

Well Jon another year is soon upon us, and I am looking forward to the Pats opening a can of Whoop A** on the Bronco's this year... Anyhow how was your summer, I actually spent some time camping in Cypress this year and had the opportunity to stop in Swift Current on the way through... Actually to my surprise I didn't find anything unusual in that city, I was looking for the cow tipping contest and the ChuckWagon races but it must have been over by the time we went through there at the end of August... Not to mention I also noticed that most people had teeth, I was totally awe struck... It was not as I imagined... Anyhow I just wanted to say best of luck to you and the Bronco's this year, and I am looking forward to seeing you at the Brandt Centre... Take Care

Jon Keen said...

Haha, I was wondering when you were going to weigh-in on the upcoming season.

Both teams lose some high-end players but both return some good ones. Should be a good season series.