Tuesday, May 06, 2008

1st Rounder Scarlett Q and A

It's been a few days since the WHL bantam draft, but here's more of a look at Swift Current Broncos 1st round bantam pick (12th overall) Reece Scarlett.

Scarlett is one of four first round bantam picks from his Sherwood Park "AAA" Flyers that one a Western Canadian Bantam Championship in Airdrie.

A few people I've talked to had Scarlett highly sought after following the run the Flyers went on capped off with the Western title. The Broncos took him 12th overall and word is there were a couple teams that had him pegged as their pick if he was still available.

Here's a transcript of our interview:

JK: Draft day is a big day. Tell me about it. What were you up to? Were you following it closely?

Reece Scarlett: I tried my best to go about my day normally but it's kind off hard when it's the most exciting day of my life so far. I was at school, my teacher put it up on her computer screen and eventually my name popped up. It was great to see.

JK: 12th overall to the Broncos... they felt they could get you with their drafting position. When their name came up on the board, did you think they would take you?

Reece Scarlett: Not at all actually. I wasn't expecting to go as high as I did. They obviously see something in me and hopefully I can bring that to the table.

JK: You're touted as a defensive-minded defenseman with some offensive ability. Tell me in your words what kind of player you are.

Reece Scarlett: I think I'm a fairly smart player, good with the puck, good without the puck too. A very good first passer. I work from the defensive zone out for sure. At the same time I'm not afraid to step into the play and do my part offensively.

JK: Your family is involved in the WHL, your mom Cheryl is the billet coordinator for the Edmonton Oil Kings. You must know a little bit about the league from that standpoint.

Reece Scarlett: For sure. We had a billet here from the Oil Kings, Robin Figren. He taught me about how the league works and how great of an experience it is. I can't wait for it to start for me.

JK: What do you know about the Broncos and about Swift Current?

Reece Scarlett: It's a fairly small city from what I know. It's had a great hockey history with the likes of Joe Sakic and many others playing there. I'd love to get started there.

JK: Tell me about your parents and their reaction to being taken 12th overall by the Broncos.

Reece Scarlett: They called me on my cell phone. They were just as surprised at me as to just how high I went. They were extremely proud of me. I got a lot of phone calls from my extended family. They were all excited and very proud.

------------------

The funeral for Ed Chynoweth was yesterday in Calgary. The Broncos were well represented at the memorial service.

Dean Chynoweth, his family and the Broncos staff including Jamie Porter, Elden Moberg, Tim Kehler and Paul Ayotte all attended. Governor Ben Wiebe, Chairman of the Board of Directors Joe Arling and his wife Barb, Board of Directors Frank Macbean, Al Stewart and Wally Walker. Several Bronco player also took in the ceremony including Justin Dowling, Mike Brown, Taylor Vause, Eric Doyle and Ryan Molle and their families. I apologize if I missed anyone.

From all accounts the ceremony was more a celebration of life for Ed Chynoweth. It was light hearted and the speakers were fantastic.

Jon





No comments: