Monday, March 31, 2008

Playoff Run Great for Bottom Line

I had a sit down chat with Broncos Assistant General Manager Elden Moberg today.

I was working on another angle to the playoffs beyond the goals and saves, wins and losses. We talked $$$.

In the past, according to Moberg, a home playoff game in the "old days" before the rink expansion meant around $20,000 per game to the teams bottom line.

After three home games this post-season, the Broncos have netted about $30,000 to $35,000 per home ice appearance. A decent increase powered by two near sell-outs in games three and four of the series with Regina, and then a sold-out game six.

If you do the math, this year's playoffs have added about 100k to the team so far minus road playoff expenses.


---------------

The team held a light skate yesterday as they get they recover from a physical battle with the Pats. It was good to see Erik Felde up and walking around. He's off the crutches after blocking that shot in game five.

Several of the veteran players are loving this time off. Bretton Stamler gave me a big smile when I asked him how important almost a week between games will be for him.

Round one concludes tonight. My buddy Regan Bartel and the Kelowna Rockets are fighting to advance through seventh heaven in Seattle. Whoever wins the series will get Tri-City in round two...



4 comments:

dtjensen said...

Jon, I just wanted to let you know that I have jumped on the Bronco band wagon for the rest of the playoffs... I think, if Yonkman can be as effective as he was against us, the Broncos have an excellent chance of going to the Conference Final... Let's go Broncos you are Saskatchewans team now....

Jon Keen said...

Wow, let me go check the current temperature in hell....

welcome aboard Darcy. Just no ripping on our boys, ok.

dtjensen said...

Hay Jon, no don't worry I have vented against the Pats, Linden, and Coach Hunt.. So to be quite honest, I am done ripping anyone, the only reason I was so hard on the Pats was because, the Pats are my team, and I breath, sleep, and bleed Pats blue, I gues you could say I am a diehard. :-)
However, I also have turned most of my focus on to the Yankees, and I will ripping them by email if they underachieve. ;-)
I just wanted to let you know that I am rooting for the Broncos, and I am extremely happy that the series will be broadcast on Shaw, as it will be a dandy... These two teams have the talent, and the ability to put on one hell of a show... Later Jon, and again the Broncos are Saskatchewans team now... So lets go boys...

Anonymous said...

So when will the series start? do we know yet? when and where?