Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Stuff You Hear...

The one thing I like about this league is that I learn something new almost every day or every game. The amount of hockey or league knowledge knows no ceiling. The more I just sit and listen, the more things I learn. It's neverending really. I've been fortunate to have learned from some of the best and most knowledgeable over the years. From coaching techniques to handling different personalities to just understanding the game on another level, this year has been as educational as ever.


- Broncos rookie forward Mike Brown is set to rejoin the team after a whirlwind trip to Toronto. His Grandpa is Bill Hay is the Chairman for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Mike was on hand for the big induction ceremony which included Mark Messier, Scott Stevens, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis and Builder Jim Gregory entering the Hall.

- How 'bout some goals? The Broncos haven't scored more than three goals in their last five games. The high octane offense sometimes needs to run a little diesel instead and get a little greasy.


- Wind speeds of 100 km/h plus blew threw Swifty the last 24 hours. There wasn't a lot of sleep for a few people in town last night including me. Surprising there was little to no damage around the city. I silenced my cell this afternoon to catch-up and apparently missed a call from by buddy Regan Bartel in Kelowna. He left a random message about goaltending which got me thinking about all the past or present goaltenders in the WHL broadcast booth.

Cam Moon in Red Deer would be the only one who played at any sort of a high level. The former WHL 'tender would be at the head of the class. Regan is Kelowna plays/played quite a bit growing up while Ron St.Clair tries to convince me every time I'm in Prince George that he's still in the prime of his career.

I play a little...at least I used to. I know there's a couple more in the ranks that I just can't think of right now. Drew in P.A perhaps?


--------------------

- The Broncos had their lights knocked out today... literally. A power outage believed to be caused by the high winds cancelled practice. The Broncos host Brandon Friday and Saskatoon Sunday to complete the weekend. A rare Saturday night off for the Hockey Club.

Short and sweet... that's it for tonight.

Jon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Westie in Tri Cities is a keeper and he still plays in the Adult men's league.