Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Postma and Molle Reaction / WWE Superstar Chris Benoit Found Dead

I'm not a wrestling fan but this is big news in the sporting world this morning.

Here's the disturbing story from tsn.ca:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP-CP) - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.


Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.


The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and seven-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbour called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.


World Wrestling Entertainment said on its website it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."


Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicide, and that the causes of death awaited autopsy results on Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.


The WWE cancelled its live "Raw" wrestling card Monday night in Corpus Christi, Texas. Canadian television network The Score aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled telecast.


Benoit, a five-foot-11, 220-pounder, was often described as a rabid wolverine in the ring. "The Canadian Crippler" had a chiselled physique and was known for his superior technical skills. The "Crippler Crossface" was one of his signature moves, along with a flying headbutt from the top rope and triple German suplex.


Fellow blogger Ryan Switzer tells me he used to watch Benoit wrestle in Swift Current at the Palliser Pavilion back in the mid-80's when he was part of Stampede Wrestling.

What is it with wrestlers and death at an early age? Let's see Brian Pillman, Eddie Guerrero, Mr. Perfect, Ravishing Rick Rude, Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Miss Elizabeth.... ok maybe I'm more of a wrestling fan than I thought.

-------------------------

I had a chance to talk with both drafted Broncos over the past couple days. Thanks to the radio station's Donovan Fehr for getting the Postma interview while I was in Columbus. Here's a sample.

Dono: Tell me your thoughts on being drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers:


Postma: It's unreal. I don't know a lot about the organization but I know they have a lot of skill and talent and I'm just really excited to go there.


Dono: So are you getting excited to go to training camp?


Postma: You bet! It's just another process and a stepping stone. I can't wait to work hard and put on some pounds this summer and hopefully have a good camp with them.


Dono: It took awhile for your name to be called at the draft, did you ever think it may not happen?


Postma: (laughing), you know what, it got frustrating at the end I'm not going to lie. I was a little frustrated and a little nervous and I kind of started losing hope but then right at the end my name came up and I got the call. I'm just really relieved and excited at the same time, it's just a great feeling.


Dono: Your teammate Ryan Molle was taken just two picks later....


Postma: It's unreal, I'm just so proud of Molls, he's a great guy, he really deserves it and just works incredibly hard. New Jersey did show some interest in him over the summer and there was that chance. Congratulations to Molls for sure.


Dono: How much interest did Atlanta show in you before the draft?


Postma: I had an interview, it went really well. It seemed they were pretty interested but I didn't know how interested. I guess, what they saw they liked enough to choose me, I'm pretty excited.



Ryan Molle:


JK: I know you were keeping an eye on the draft but not paying too much attention, apparently you were sleeping most of the day, tell me how you heard the news?


Molle: I didn't want to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch the draft because I would be waiting all day. I thought I would go in the later rounds - if at all. I woke up and it just happened to be in the 7th round. I was just walking around the house not waiting too anxiously and then all of a sudden my mom was like "Ryan Molle! Ryan Molle!" and I was like "Whoa, No Way!" It was a good surprise.


JK: I know there was some interest from New Jersey before the draft, tell me about your dealings with them leading up to the draft.


Molle: I think they first noticed me when I scored my playoff goal. They knew I didn't do a lot of that during the season but they were sure impressed. They watched my last game and were impressed the way I progressed through the season.


JK: There's no doubt this should give you some extra motivation for all those off-season workouts.


Molle: Absolutely. As soon as I was drafted I didn't know what to do with myself, I was jumping around so I went to the "Y" and just worked it off, it was definitely some extra motivation.


----------------------------


It's the Swift Current Broncos Hall of Fame induction ceremony then some golf in the morning. It's going to be an interesting 24 hours in Swifty.


Jon

No comments: