Wednesday, May 09, 2007

One-on-One with 1st Rounder Christian Magnus/Facebook Craze

I recently chatted with Swift Current Broncos first round bantam pick from last week Christian Magnus from Saskatoon.

Here's a quick transcript. Safe to say he's excited to be a Bronco.



JK: The Broncos have made you their 1st round choice, what's it like to be a Bronco?

Christian: I think it's just an honour, it's going to be awesome. I'm really glad I went 9th overall but I think my work is really just starting now.

JK: You had some pretty good offensive numbers this season in bantam hockey, tell me what kind of a player are you?

Christian: I think I see the ice well, I can score goals... I'm a team player. I think I'm a pretty complete player.

JK: What about playing in the Western Hockey League? How much does that excite you?

Christian: It'll be exciting. It's one thing I've always wanted to do, I grew up watching the (Saskatoon) Blades, I'm just really excited.

JK: Talk about this past season. To be a first rounder you must have really impressed. I know impressed in a couple of big bantam tournaments.

Christian: I think I had a great season. In Regina I was the MVP of the tournament. In Prince Albert I made the All-star team. I had an unblievable season and think I played well all year.

JK: You were following the draft online from the WHL website. Was that a nervous time?

Christian: (laughing) yeah, we were all keeping track. When my name came up at the 9th my mom was like "Oh thank-god, thank god"...I was kind of laughing at her.

------------------
I got this from Mike Fraser at www.mikefraser29.blogspot.com regarding Ian White:

Former Swift Current Bronco defenceman and Manitoba product Ian White signed a three-year contract extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs today for a reported $850,000. If that's true, that's a pretty good deal for the Leafs. White had 26 points in 76 games – his first full season with the Leafs.
-------------------

So I'm a little slow to pick up on the latest internet fads but this whole "facebook" thing is pretty wild. I recently signed up after receiving about 5 or 6 e-mail invites from friends. Now that I'm on it's cool stuff. You connect with people and friends you haven't talked to in years. College roommates, elementary school friends, past and present Bronco players.

I guess facebook has been around for awhile...too bad I waited this long to jump on board. I would suggest giving it a shot.

------------------
Another season of Swift Current Indians baseball is right around the corner. I for one can't wait to spend a few nights at the ballpark under the lights.

The Tribe chases a third straight WMBL Championship led by Mr. Baseball himself Harv Martinez.

It looks like this year's team will look a lot different this season. The Tribe will not be returning any of the import pitchers like Ryan Flanigan, Brandon Rupp, John De Visser, Jeremy Hickman and Rob Flanagan .

The Tribe is also hoping to get All-star lead-off man Dustin Jones back. He's having a great year of College baseball and is expected to be drafted by a Major League ball club in the upcoming draft. If that's the case, Jones would more than likely play somewhere within that team's minor league system.

-----------------------------------------

No comments: