Monday, April 02, 2007

Pats Win in OT...Bronco Season Over **Update**

Well, what a game.

Unfortunately it's the end of the line for the Broncos who fall in six games to the Regina Pats in the first round playoff series. Brett Leffler's overtime winner with a scramble in front gave the Pats a 2-1 overtime win and series victory is six.

Myles Rumsey.... tough break. He left the game in the 2nd period with a serious knee injury, the first word from the Broncos is that it could be an MCL injury.

It was sad to see the Broncos depart the ice for the final time this season. Of course you feel for the three graduating players in Rumsey, Jeremy Schenderling, and Kyle Moir. Each have left their mark with this team over the last 4-5 years.
----

The Pats deserve credit for winning all three games at the Civic Center in this series. That was the difference no doubt. They may have looked a bit lacklustre at times but did what they had to do to win this series and move on. They also were forced to kill 8 penalties - including two in overtime just to get the opportunity to win it in OT. I didn't know this 'till this morning but Pats General Manager Brent Parker picked up a Game Misconduct for his actions following the game. He said in the LeaderPost he was upset over the obstacles his team had to overcome to win the game and must have taken out some frustrations on referee Chris Savage and Kyle Rehman.
-----

If Regina continues to get solid goaltending they could be a 2nd round threat depending on who they match-up against. I like their depth too. They are a team that could survive a couple of key injuries.
----

So who's our playoff MVP? I think you have to give Levi Nelson some consideration but Jeremy Schenderling would be my choice. His five goals and two assists led the team. So did his inspired play.
----

I will look try to get a hold of what will be a dejected Myles Rumsey. He'll take this loss hard despite doing all he could. The Broncos will spend the next couple days with meetings and outgoing fitness testing. I'll be taking a look at the future of some of these players and also talk to Broncos Head Coach and G.M. Dean Chynoweth on this past season, playoffs and next year. Rememeber, he's yet (to my knowledge) renew his contract for next season. The Board of Governors have said they will be evaluating the season once it's over. That would lead me to believe there should be some meetings this week.
----

I introduced myself to Rob Vanstone of the LeaderPost last night. He's a great writer. I love his sarcasm in his articles. I still remember some Rider columns he wrote where he referred to the Riders "punt-orientated offense" or his 1st down, 2nd down, ROUGE! article from a couple seasons ago. Funny stuff. He told me he has bookmarked my blog.... I'm honoured!
----

There is a silver lining to the Broncos being bounced in the 1st round. The Civic Center expansion project can now get into full force. They can blow out the back wall and gets started on the wraparound seating and luxury boxes.
-----

Over the next couple days, I'll post the transcripts of my interviews with some of the players and coaches. I'm assuming Chairman of the Board Joe Arling will weigh in at some point. I will also profile some of the returning players for next season and what to expect. Safe to say, I like next year's team a lot.
-----

Playoffs continue for me. I'm planning to check out game seven tomorrow night in Medicine Hat between the Tigers and Rebels. Should be great! With that said I'll continue to weigh in on the rest of the WHL playoffs.
-----

That's it for now . . . . be checking back for updates.


Jon

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent game, hats off to the Broncos and their fans for a good season. a lot of good fun was had bashing keener and teasing Ernie, and I can't wait to do it again next year.

Pat

Jon Keen said...

So close Pat, so close. Game seven would have been even better.

Jon Keen said...

Yes, it was a great series. Thanks for tuning in.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the Broncos on a very hard fought series. I have to admit, they put up way more of a fight than I thought they would....It was a good series! Kinda werid that the only game that was won by the home team was the first game in Regina...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the Pats next round! I hope Rumsey's okay, what an awful way to end his junior career. See ya next year.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pbp this season Jon. I had you plugged in my ear for every home game. If I miss something I always hear it from you. Tell Switzer I think he's getting better, lol. Look forward to your updates during the summer and pbp next year. Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon, well, all I can say is I am so glad to have you as the voice of the Broncos when I couldn't be there in person to watch the boys that last game. The game sounded fantastic, and I tip my hat to the Bronco die hards that stood behind our boys 'till the end. We lose some heart this year in those 3 20 year olds, but the team has a bright future ahead of them and I can say that I will be eagerly awaiting news from training camp come August! I may have moved to Regina, but i'm still a Bronco Fan!

Anonymous said...

I second that Jon. It's great to have you as our PBP voice. You did an amazing job of it this season, and it was great to listen to every game. Switzer was awesome too. I hope to see you both back next season. Hey, it's only four months AWAY!! HAHA!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!

Big Ern

Anonymous said...

Great job Kenner. Tough one last night, I don't know if my Vocal cords could have taken another game, but if Big Ern was sitting behind me i would have had no choice. What a great game last night. I was so damn proud of the boys. Amazing what results you get when you don't quit. Can't wait till August. See you at the ball park.

Anonymous said...

Parker... what an asshole. Once again.

Jon Keen said...

Behmer,

Yes ball season. I almost forgot! Can the Tribe three-peat this year?

See you around.

Jon

Jon Keen said...

Ernie,

Do you plan to be a Swift Current Indians super-fan this summer?

Anonymous said...

I dunno Jonny. Am I as fond of baseball as hockey? Heck no. Will I catch Indians' games? I would think so. It won't come close to my hockey antics though. But yeah, I'm a Swift Current citizen now. I guess that makes the Indians my team. HAHA. Abseloutely! GO TRIBE GO!!

"The count is three and two on Funk right now....and he takes another ball...and jogs to first. So right now, the Tribe has two on base..." (Switzer)

HAHAHA! Yes Jon, I'll support the Indians. LOL

Big Ern

P.S. But guess what comes first for me?!? The Dallas Stars. Speaking of them, they knocked off Detroit and Nashville, two of the top teams in the league, in one weekend. Only to come home tonight and blow one to who else but lowly St. Louis 4-2!!!! Sometimes, I can't figure them out. I'm excited to see NHL playoffs though. Should be fun. GO STARS GO!

Big E.

P.S.S. Hey Keener, will the morning show be having another "breakfast boys pic' 'em challenge" for NHL playoffs this year? LOL If so, save the Stars for me.

Big E.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot something. WHL playoffs aren't over yet. Even though Medicine Hat is a big rival, I will be rooting for the Tigers. They have one hell of a hockey club...you gotta love 'em...and hey... if that isn't enough, how can you not like their coach, Willy??! A Saskatchewanite. I had a chance to meet him once this season. He is awesome. Not to mention his coaching and GM abilities. WOW! Anyway, Med. Hat could be out by tomorrow night as well, which would not even surprise me. I'm not surprised by that series at all. I said from the beginning, if no team can challenge the Tigers, Brent Sutter and the Rebels sure CAN. It never fails. We will see, I guess. Goodnight everyone.

Jon, sorry for posting THREE times today. I forget stuff. You understand right? HAHA.

Big Ern

Anonymous said...

Ernie, so uncouth. Just no tact. haha