Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"If I knew, I would tell you"

That's the response I got from newly appointed Prince George Cougars Associate Head Coach Drew Schoneck when we talked earlier today.

Just what exactly is an Associate Head Coach anyways? It seems to be a title you give someone when you aren't quite sure he's your man for the job or not; not exactly a vote of confidence.

"Right now I'm operating as the head coach and will do so until they bring another guy in they feel could be the head coach. But certainly that is the question around PG, is what exactly is an Associate Head Coach, and right now Dallas Thompson is the Head Coach and General Manager and I was brought in to spell some of those coaching duties from him to allow Dallas to concentrate on the G.M. side of things, so right now I'm operating as basically the head coach I guess." So, is this the same as a on the job try-out?. I guess only time will tell.

Last night's Broncos win over the Kootenay Ice was more than just a win, it was the first time all season the Broncos defeated a legitimate contender. Previously their wins had come against Lethbridge (2), Prince Albert (2), Moose Jaw, Kelowna, Chilliwack, Prince George and Saskatoon.

Friday will be another measuring stick, the Everett Silvertips will make a visit. They are loaded with offensive talent led by NHL 1st rounder Peter Mueller.

See you at the rink,

Jon